12.6.13

Finished: Embroidered cardigan

I started this project in februari 2012 and I finally finished it last week. Once again, there is lot to tell about this project. Let me start with the beginning.

Ik ben begonnen met dit vestjes in februari 2012 en ik kreeg het vorige week eindelijk af. Ook nu, is er weer veel te vertellen over dit project. Laat ik bij het begin beginnen.

Wearing dark green shoes with strap

When I learned how to knit I have spend hours and hours on the internet, looking for inspiration. I came across the knitting patterns of Rowan and I liked them very much! I think they are very stylish and elegant. Something I miss at many other modern knitting patterns from bigger yarn companies. I fell inmediately in love with this purple sweater with floral embroidery.

Toen ik leerde breien spendeerde ik uren op het internet, op zoek naar inspiratie. Ik ontdekte Rowan en ik was meteen onder de indruk! De patronen zijn zeer stijlvol en elegant. Iets wat ik mis bij andere moderne breipatronen van grote bedrijven die wol/patronen verkopen. Het patroon van het paarse tuniekje met geborduurde bloemen was een van mijn favorieten.

Rowan Tunic
I bought the yarn and started knitting, but then I got doubts. Yes, I liked the color, I adored the embroidery, but I didn't like the tunic. I realised I wouldn't wear this type of garment a lot. And it's a pity if you have been working on a project for so many hours and it ends up in your closet without wearing it. 

Ik kocht de wol en begon met breien, maar ik kreeg twijfels. Ja, de kleur was mooi, het borduurwerk vond ik leuk, maar het model, een tuniek, vond ik minder geslaagd. Ik realiseerde me, dat ik zoiets niet vaak zou dragen. En het is zo zonde als je uren hebt gewerkt aan een project en dat het dan ongedragen in de kast belandt.
Berroco Cardigan

I decided to change the plan. Once again I searched Ravelry and other resources to find an alternative knitting pattern which I could use with the yarn I already had.  I'm  a cardigan wearer,  I wear them often. So the best thing to do was searching for a suitable knitting pattern for a cardigan. I ended up with a free pattern of Berroco.

Ik besloot het plan te veranderen. Nogmaals zocht ik op Ravelry en andere websites naar een alternatief patroon, die ik kon gebruiken met de wol die ik al had. Ik ben gek op vestjes en ik draag ze veel. Dus het lag voor de hand om naar een patroon van een vestje te kijken. Ik vond een gratis patroon van Berroco.

Wearing a pair of bright green shoes

I didn't want to reject the embroidery of the Rowan Pattern. Therefore I used the embroidery design and changed thoroughly it so I could use it on the cardigan. I also decided to use brighter colors.

Het borduurwerk van het Rowan patroon wilde ik niet achterwege laten. Daarom heb ik het borduurontwerp van Rowan drastisch aangepast, zodat ik het kon gebruiken voor het vestje. Ook koos ik voor fellere kleuren.
Above: original embroidery pattern, below: changes I made

Knitting the cardigan went quite fast. The instructions were very clear. The hardest part was the embroidery. I don't have a lot of experience with embroidery, and it's not something I like to do every day. I took a lot of breaks, knitting other things, instead of finishing this cardigan.

Het breien ging vlot, want de instructies waren helder. Het moeilijkste was het borduurwerk. Ik heb niet veel ervaring met borduren, en het is niet iets wat ik graag elke dag doe. Ik heb het borduurwerk vaak voor langere tijd weg gelegd en ging bezig met andere breiprojecten. Hierdoor duurde het nog langer voordat het vestje klaar was.



Embroidering both front pieces was terribly difficult. I  first embroidered the left front piece and then started with the other.  Duplicating the pattern to the other side was a real challenge. It really discouraged me to work on this cardigan on a regular basis. But somehow I managed through both front pieces and then I felt really motivated to finish the back as soon as possible. 

Het borduren van beide voorpanden was vreselijk moeilijk. Ik begon met het linker voorpand en daarna met de andere. Exact hetzelfde borduren op het andere voorpand was echt een uitdaging. Het heeft me ontmoedigd om hier dagelijks mee bezig te zijn. Maar toch is het me gelukt om beide voorpanden af te krijgen. Daarna had ik genoeg motivatie om het achterpand zo snel mogelijk af te krijgen.


I have this pink vintage skirt for years in my closet, but don't wear it much. I didn't had to proper garments to make a outfit with this skirt. But when I was working on my cardigan I knew it would be great to pair it with my pink skirt. Getting the right shoes was a bit tricky. I've been searching and searching for a year, but couldn't find anything within my budget. Until a month ago. I found even two 2 pairs of shoes that I could wear with my outfit!

De roze rok is vintage en heb ik al jaren in mijn kast hangen. De rok heb ik niet veel gedragen. Ik wist gewoon niet wat ik erbij kon dragen. Maar toen ik met het vestje bezig was, wist ik dat de roze rok hier goed bij paste. Het vinden van de juiste schoenen was lastig. Ik heb een jaar gezocht naar geschikte schoenen die ook nog eens binnen mijn budget pasten. Een maand geleden was het dan eindelijk gelukt en ik vond niet 1 paar maar 2 paar schoenen! 

Which shoes do you like best with this outfit? 
Welke schoenen vind jij het leukst staan?

18 comments:

  1. I like the strap pair shoes with this skirt and cardigan. I give you lots of credit for attempting these great projects:) Your cardigan is lovely! Will you also be knitting from a 30's or 40's original pattern? I don't really know how to knit but my mum knows how to crochet so she is making me a nice blouse from a 40's pattern. I also have an aunt who knits and I'm hoping she will knit me a nice short sleeve blouse. I just love looking at all those vintage knitting patterns from the 30s and 40s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I've done some knitting with vintage patterns (1940s). For my next knitting project I use a 40s knitting pattern of a fair isle cardigan!
      I would love to see your blouse, when it's finished :)

      I love those knitting patterns too! I collect 40s/50s knitting/crochet supplements of a Dutch magazine called Libelle. The patterns are so lovely!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your cardigan is gorgeous, and the embroidery is absolutely beautiful. I'm not going to be any help about your shoes, because I like both pairs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a luscious cardigan..you are truly talented. As for the shoes, they're both cute and retro ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The embroidery is so detailed and beautiful - what a wonderful cardigan, it was well worth to work on it for such a long time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I finally finished it.

      Delete
  5. Stunning cardigan, your hard work really paid off! I agree both pairs of shoes look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, Anthea dear, this cardigan turned out so tremendously beautiful! I love the warm, deep colour palette and cheerful garden of blooms running down the front. Both shoes are great, as they compliment the colours in the sweater, but I especially like the strappy pair of heels.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for your wonderfully sweet comment on my outfit post today. I'm touched that you'd like to hear more about how I put together my ensembles, and will certainly plan to do a post on that in the future now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica!

      I'm looking forward to your post about how you put your outfits together!

      Delete
  7. Wow. The embroidery on the cardigan is amazing. It looks so good and makes a lovely outfit. I think I like the green strap shoes best, not sure why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I prefer the strap shoes over the other ones as well. I think the other ones looks a bit plump in the picture.

      Delete
  8. Hi, I just found your wonderful blog and HAD to join you right away! You're very talented, and I envy you - I have a lot of patterns (the whole Lutterloh collection from the start in the mid 1930s until today) and many projects, but so little time. And I can't knit. Well, I could, but I'm soooo slow and untalented, so I better leave it to others.

    Anyway, I started my own small vintage blog now and hope I can soon show some more finished vintage sewing projects as well. All the best from Switzerland and happy sewing and knitting, Doris aka Mrs. Button :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Doris! Wow, that's amazing having such a big Lutterloh collection!

      I would love to see some of your finished projects!

      Delete
  9. Wow, your sweater looks really good! That embroidery is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!