7.6.13

Finished Simplicity 2043

I planned on finishing this dress earlier this week, but I couldn't because my sister in law and her husband got a little baby girl! When we got the phone call we went to them to see the little one. She's so tiny, unbelievable! Luckily, I had some this time this morning to finish the belt and sew on the buttons.

Eigenlijk had ik de jurk al eerder al willen maken, maar dat was niet gelukt omdat mijn schoonzusje en haar man een baby hebben gekregen. Het is een meisje! Toen we het telefoontje kregen zijn we 's middags op bezoek geweets. Ze is zo klein, ongelovelijk! Gelukkig had ik vandaag wel tijd om de jurk af te maken. 


I'm not really a summer person, but to get more in the summer mood I wanted to make a 50s summerdress. I used Simplicity 2043.  It's one of the first vintage patterns I bought years ago, but never made it.

Ik ben niet echt een zomerliefhebber, maar om toch wat meer in de stemming te komen besloot ik om een jaren 50 zomerjurk te maken. Het patroon dat ik heb gebruikt is simplicity 2043. Het patroon had ik al een aantal jaren, het was een van de eerste vintage naaipatronen die ik heb gekocht. En in al die tijd heb ik het patroon nooit gemaakt.

Source


 I really love this pattern. The dres has many lovely details. It has a wide pleated skirt with side pockets. There are pleats at the front and back waist. The front shoulder seam is gathered. I love the notched collar and the  button closure.

Het patroon vind ik echt heel erg leuk en heeft veel mooie details. De rok heeft plooien en zakken in de zijnaad. Er zitten plooien in de taille van het voor- en achterpand. Ik ben altijd al gek geweest op dergelijke kragen en een mooie knoopsluiting. 

Skirt pleats, collar and front opening with buttons

The instructions are in German including a sheet with German - Dutch translations. My German isn't that good, I tried to read the instructions, but it took too much time.  I decided to put the instructions aside.

De uitleg was in het Duits, inclusief een pagina met een Duits - Nederlandse woordenlijst. Mijn Duits is niet echt goed, dus het lezen van de instructies ging wat lastig. Daarom besloot ik om de instructies maar te negeren en mijn eigen weg te gaan. 

Buttons and pocket

I haven't changed the pattern a lot. Officially you should use 3 inches for the hem, I used only 2 because I wanted the skirt a little bit longer. It's so nice to sew something without making 3 muslins and altering it. 

Ik heb niet veel aan het patroon veranderd. Officieel hoor je 7,5 cm voor de zoom te gebruiken, ik heb slechts 5 cm gebruikt. De rok wilde ik toch iets langer hebben. Het is echt fijn om af en toe iets te maken zonder tig muslins en aanpassingen.

Inside out and hems
Because the fabric is a bit sheer I decided to line the dress. I could go for underlining the pieces, but I'm not really a big fan of that. I think I do something wrong, because I never get the 2 layers smoothly together. Anyway, I think lining your garment is the best way to finish your garment, it looks so neat and clean in my opinion.

De stof is een beetje doorzichtig, daarom heb ik besloten om een voering te maken. Je kan ook twee lagen stof aan elkaar stikken en die vervolgens als een laag behandelen, maar ik vind dat vaak niet zo mooi worden. Ach ja, de mooiste afwerking is toch om een voering in een kledingstuk te zetten.


Making the fabric covered belt was new to me. I think it looks well for a first time, but I'm not fully satisfied. I practiced making the eyelets 3 times before doing the real thing and the all looked nice. When I did the first eyelet in the belt the ring slipped so it's bit bumpy because I hammered on it. 

Dit was de eerste keer dat ik zelf een riem maakte. Voor een eerste keer is het best aardig gelukt, maar helemaal tevreden ben ik niet. Toen ik aan het oefenen was met de nestelringen ging het goed. Maar toen ik de eerste ring met een hamer in de riem sloeg  verschoof het ringetje. Waardoor er nu een deuk in het ringetje zit.


Choosing the belt fabric and buttons was quite hard. At first I didn't really know what colors to use. Green, Purple, Pink? Or the same fabric of the dress? I went to a notions/fabric shop, and soon enough my choices were very limited. There was no suitable fabric and the only buttons I liked were pink and white. In the end I ended up with pink buttons and I had some dress fabric left to make a belt out of it.

Het uitzoeken van de knopen en de stof voor de riem was nogal lastig te zijn. Eerst wist ik echt niet welke kleuren ik wilde gebruiken. Groen? Paars? Roze? Of misschien dezelfde stof als de jurk? Ik ging naar een stoffenwinkel en al snel bleek dat ik eigenlijk niet zoveel keuze had. Er was geen geschikte stof voor de riem. En van de knopen vond ik alleen de roze en witte mooi. Uiteindelijk heb ik besloten om de riem van dezelfde stof als de jurk te maken en roze knopen te gebruiken.


All in all, I'm very happy with my dress. It fits well and is very comfortable to wear. Because I used cotton for both the dress and the lining it's perfect for summer :) And also, the flowers are very summery!

Al met al, ben ik best tevreden met de jurk. Hij zit goed en draagt comfortabel. Omdat ik katoen voor de jurk en de voering heb gebruikt is de jurk perfect voor de zomer :) En dan heb ik het nog niet eens over het zomerse stofje gehad!

13 comments:

  1. Oh Anthea dear, this dress is so, so tremendously pretty! I knew that fabric was incredible, but it's even more amazing in 3D form. Awesome work - you look gorgeous!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all fits together so nicely!! How long did it take you to complete it? I'm amazed you did it without instructions, amazing!! Your belt turned out wonderful!! I'm planning on making a fabric belt for my dress when I get to that point. I bought some vintage belt kits and I hope to try one out. Your belt looks so well done did you have to refer to any sites to figure it out?
    I hope you get a lot of use from your dress this summer, it's beautiful!! Big pat on the back to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      I started making the dress almost a month ago. But didn't work on it every day. I think I worked max. 30 hours on it to complete it. It could be a little less. I'm not the fastest sewer, I think other people could complete it mucht faster.

      I bought a belt making kit at http://shop.afashionablestitch.com/category/belt-making. They come with clear instructions.
      But unfortunately the supplier is discontinuing several types, and all the belt buckles/kits are sold out in Sunni's shop :(

      This tutorial might be useful for you: http://blog.caseybrowndesigns.com/2011/03/beltmaking-101/

      Delete
    2. Coincidentally I just came across another tutorial: http://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/tutorial-fabric-covered-belt

      Delete
  3. It's perfect, Anthea. So summery and pretty. I'm sure you will wear this a lot. Such a great classic style, very worth the work. I always skip making a proper belt. When I had a go at eyelets before the went all wrong and wonky :-( so I gave up. Seeing yours makes me want to try again. It just finishes the whole dress off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea! When you get the hang of it, they aren't too difficult to handle.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous dress, and I think the belt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress looks lovely, what a great make. The fabric print is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a gorgeous shirtwaist! I love your fabric coloured belt as well, the perfect finishing detail :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!