11.7.13

Finished 1938 Lutterloh Dress

Let me start with telling you that you will see this dress appearing in more blogposts this week. 
The reason is that I met a very lovely blogger and I had to wear my new dress. But more about that later! 

Deze jurk zal vaker langskomen op mijn blog deze week. De reden is omdat ik gisteren met een hele lieve blogger heb afgesproken. En ik moest natuurlijk mijn nieuwe jurk aan. Later zal ik er meer over schrijven!


It seems that most of my sewing projects are having quite a story. This is the one about the 1938 Lutterloh Dress I finished last monday. On the end of may 2012 I wrote the first blogpost about this dress. And  a bit more then 13 months later I was able to finish the dress. 

Het lijkt wel dat de meeste naaiprojecten van mij nogal een verhaal hebben. Deze keer gaat het over een jurk uit mijn Lutterloh patronenboek (1938). Afgelopen maandag was hij dan eindelijk af, maar ik blogde al in mei 2012 over deze jurk. 



The lutterloh system uses miniature patterns which you can transfer to your own measurements using a special ruler. My first attempt of making the pattern was a big disaster. There were so many fitting issues I didn't know where to start. I decided to do things differently and draft my own pattern. This would be another big challenge because I never drafted raglan sleeves. Luckily my sewing teacher was of great help. 

Het Lutterloh systeem bevat kleine patronen die je naar je eigen maten kan omzetten met het behulp van een speciaal meetlint. Toen ik het patroon omzette naar mijn eigen maten was het resultaat een groot drama. Er waren zoveel problemen met het afpassen dat ik niet wist waar ik moest beginnen. Ik besloot het over een andere boeg te gooien en zelf het patroon te tekenen. Dit was wederom een grote uitdaging want ik had nog nooit een raglanmouw getekend. Gelukkig kon mijn naaijuf me helpen en ben ik dankzij haar een heel eind gekomen.


I think I made about 5 muslins before starting with the real thing. I had this lovely floral fabric in my stash, which would be perfect for the dress. But it's very slippery. To control the fabric I basted every piece together before stitching the seams. That was quite time consuming but it worked out very well. When I hemmed the skirt I didn't have any problems but hemmning the sleeves was very difficult. It was very hard to get a straight hem. In the end, with help of my boyfriend, I kind of created straight hems, but they're still not perfect. 

Ik denk dat ik 5 proefmodellen heb gemaakt alvorens ik met de 'echte' jurk begon. Ik had nog een mooi bloemenstofje liggen, die perfect voor de jurk zou zijn. Het nadeel is dat het nogal een glibberstofje is. Om toch wat controle over de stof te hebben, heb ik alle delen vast geregen voordat ik de naden vast stikte. Het kostte wat tijd, maar het maakte het naaien wel gemakkelijker. Toen ik de rok zoomde ging dat verbazingwekkend goed, maar het zomen van de mouwen was een ander verhaal. Mijn vriend heeft uiteindelijk geholpen om de zomen een soort van recht te maken. Ze zijn niet perfect, maar dit was het beste wat ik er van kon maken.



I also had some difficulties with the neckline. My first idea was to make a bow collar made out of black fabric to match the sash. But I didn't like the result at all. So I removed the collar and just added a seperate bow. But that wasn't great either. I liked it better, but I wasn't fully satisfied yet. When I woke up last sunday I thought about the solution. I added a black trim around the neckline. It's more subtle then the collar and I think it looks great! 

Ik had ook wat problemen met de halslijn. Mijn eerste idee was om een zwarte kraag met strik te maken. De strik zou mooi bij de tailleband passen. Het resultaat was minder geslaagd. Dus ik heb de kraag eraf gehaald en een losse strik toegevoegd. Dit was wel beter, maar ik was nog niet helemaal tevreden. Toen ik afgelopen zondag wakker werd, kreeg ik ineens een ingeving. Ik had nog wel een zwart bandje liggen en die zou wel mooi langs de halslijn staan. Het is wat subtieler dan de zwarte kraag en ik ben tevreden met het eindresultaat.


My boyfriend took some pictures in the garden of my in laws. And Bear wanted to be in the pictures as well! Oh, and my hair sits so lovely! I totally love it! But I will also reveal more about my hair in one of the upcoming blogposts!


Mijn vriend heeft de foto's genomen in de tuin van mijn schoonouders. En Bear wilde ook graag op de foto! Oh, Ik ben zo blij met mijn haar! Maar ook daar zal ik later deze week meer over schrijven!

13 comments:

  1. Lovely photographs. Your dress is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress looks so very much like the images. It's even quite interesting how you were able to find a pattern very similar to the image too! You did such a great job and it was so much fun to visit with you:) What a great place to take photographs in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great meeting you! The garden of my in laws is lovely!
    I drafted the pattern myself and I tried to get as close to the image as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dress and I love Bear too! Looking forward to seeing him feature in future posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Bear is such a cutie! He will definitely appear in other photographs!

      Delete
  5. Your dress is beautiful, definately worth the time you put into it. And I am in awe of you making five muslins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! I can be quite stubborn. If I have something in my mind I need to do it.

      Delete
  6. Dear Anthea, what a thoroughly beautiful, classic dress. It suits you so very well and makes your legs look so fabulously lengthy (I hope that doesn't sound odd, it's just that having short little stubby legs myself, I always tend to notice when I think other people's legs look long in a vintage garment). Awesome job on this new frock - you are such a talented seamstress.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! You don't sound odd at all! I know what your mean :)

      Delete
  7. Dear Anthea, This dress looks really beautiful and I love Bear too! You did a wonderful job and making 5 muslins - that's dedication! It's very inspiring I must say. What type of fitting issues did you have? The 1940's patterns are very small indeed. Most people in these days are larger people - I don't mean fat, but their whole bone structure and everything is larger or on a larger scale due to their ability to eat good food after WWII without rationing and deprivations. Even if you are a slim person like you are you may be much taller than 1940's women and so on. I found through numerous amounts of trial and error that if I added 6,5 cm to each number around the pattern pieces that it turned out better for me fit wise. For example say you have 20cm on your pattern piece as one of the numbers, in my case I would add 6,5cm and it would result in 26,5cm - that is the number I would draw out to using the Lutterloh ruler or tape measure and make my dot there and thus around all the pattern pieces. I still had to adjust for my narrow sloping shoulders, but I would have to do that with any pattern whether from the big 4 pattern companies, or more in the case of the vintage patterns, or Lutterloh. Maybe you can find a similar result that would work for you with Lutterloh? Just a suggestion. Thank you so much! Kathy from Arizona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thank you for your comment! I really appreciate it! I find it really hard to let go of a project when it becomes difficult. I'm quite stubborn when it comes to that. Sometimes I need a break but I always try to get a good result with my crafting projects.

      I can't really remember what fitting issues I had, because it wsa some years ago when I made this dress. I think it has to do with the raglan sleeves, but I'm not sure.

      Thanks for the tips! I like to tackle another Lutterloh pattern and might take this in mind!

      Delete
    2. Dear Anthea, Here's hoping you can find an easy solution to the Lutterloh patterns. It's going to be less than 6.5cm for you for sure. It might be some number that would make all the difference. I've never tried raglan sleeves I wouldn't know where to begin. Your dresses and other clothing have turned out so beautiful! Thank you! Kathy from Arizona

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!