22.10.13

Woohoo I finished my Lutterloh dress!

Ok, I'm a bit excited! After all those weeks of pattern drafting,  making muslins, sewing, loosing my sewing mojo after a break, I finished my Lutterloh dress!! And I'm so happy with the result! I just needed to dress up although I don't leave the house today except for walking with Bear. But sometimes it's just fun to dress up with no particular reason :) And this dress just deserves it!

Ok, ik ben een beetje enthousiast! Na al die weken van patroon tekenen, proefmodellen maken, naaien, geen zin in naaien hebben, heb ik toch eindelijk mijn Lutterloh jurk afgekregen!!! En ik ben erg blij met het resultaat! Ik moest me gewoon mooi aankleden, ook al ga ik de deur niet uit vandaag. Behalve dan om Bear uit te laten. Maar soms is het gewoon leuk om even lekker te tutten :) En de jurk verdient het!

Lutterloh 1941 Dress made by Anthea

When I got my Lutterloh 1941 book, this was one of my favourite dresses. The silhouette is very flattering with the double V-shaped yoke, puffed sleeves and wide skirt. In case you haven't followed my journey, here is the illustration from the book:

Toen ik voor het eerst in het Lutterloh boek (1941) keek, was dit een van mijn favoriete jurken. Het model is zeer flatterend, met de dubbele V-vormige pas, de pofmouwen en wijde rok. Als je mijn voortgang van deze jurk niet hebt gevolgd, hieronder de afbeelding uit het boek:

Lutterloh 1941 Dress made by Anthea


I used my sloper pattern to draft the pattern of this dress.  I used the miniature pattern from the book as a guide while drafting the pattern. The book has little to no sewing instructions, so every step you have to plan by yourself.

Ik heb mijn basispatroon gebruikt om het patroon van de jurk te tekenen. De patroontjes die in het boek zitten heb ik gebruikt als voorbeeld. Het boek bevat geen nauwelijks werkbeschrijvingen van de patronen. Dus elke stap moet je zelf uitdenken. 

Lutterloh 1941 Dress made by Anthea

As you can see the dress has lots of details, like the lace and the bow.  I tried to recreate this dress as closely as possible. And that wasn't easy. Especially when it comes to the sleeves. In the picture you see the cuff isn't straight, but it runs into a point. Also the cuff is incorporated in the sleeve, as you can see here:

Zoals je kan zien heeft de jurk veel details, zoals het kant en de strik. Ik heb geprobeerd de jurk zo goed mogelijk na te maken. En dat was niet altijd makkelijk. Vooral als het om de mouwen gaat. Op de afbeelding zie je dat het manchet in een punt loopt. Daarbij is de manchet samengevoegd met de mouw, zoals je hier kunt zien:

Lutterloh 1941 Dress made by Anthea

It took many muslins and alterations to get recreate the sleeve pattern. And in the end I wished I went for a straight cuff, because the effect is so little compared to all the effort I put into it. But I shouldn't complain.

Het kostte een aantal proefmodellen en aanpassingen om het mouwpatroon na te maken. Achteraf gezien had ik beter voor een recht manchet kunnen kiezen, want het effect is nauwelijks zichtbaar. Vooral na al de moeite die ik heb gedaan, maar goed ik moet eigenlijk niet klagen.

Lutterloh 1941 Dress made by Anthea

The illustration shows lace sewn to the buttonhole placket. At first I didn't see it on the illustration, and when I discovered it I didn't like it very much. For me everything has to have a certain symmetry. And I was too far progressed with the dress to add lace to the other side of the placket. Instead I choose to add lace to the lower part of the yoke. 

Op de afbeelding zie je dat er kant aan de knoopsgatensluiting is genaaid. In eerste instantie had ik dit niet gezien. En toen ik het ontdekte was ik er niet echt weg van. Ik hou van een bepaalde symmetrie en dat zou betekenen dat ik dus aan beide kanten van de sluiting kant wil hebben. Maar ik was al te ver gevorderd om dit alsnog te doen. Uiteindelijk heb ik gekozen om kant toe te voegen aan de onderzijde van de pas.

Lutterloh 1941 Dress made by Anthea

At a certain moment I was a bit unsure about the black buttons and bow. Did it do justice to the dress? But when I tried it on, I knew it was right. 

Op een bepaald moment was ik een beetje onzeker over de zwarte knopen en strik. Was dit te veel voor de jurk? Maar toen de jurk af was en ik hem aanpaste, wist ik dat het goed was.

Lutterloh 1941 Dress made by Anthea

Oh, and to show you how happy I am with the dress I added this picture:

Oh, en om te laten zien hoe blij ik ben met het resultaat, heb ik deze foto toegevoegd:

Lutterloh 1941 Dress made by Anthea

If you like to see more about the progress of the dress, you can check this photoalbum on my facebook page.

Mocht je meer willen zien over de voortgang van de jurk, dan kun je dit fotoalbum bekijken op mijn facebookpagina.

45 comments:

  1. I love the last picture!! You did such a marvelous job. A big congratulations for you! I am sure you learned a lot about construction in making this dress and all that time and effort paid off because it fits you wonderfully. I give you a lot of credit for not even having the tissue pattern to go by! You are amazing:) I love the fit of this dress. What a perfect period to represent! I hope you are able to go to a nice special dinner in your lovely dress. You deserve Prime Rib!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comments! You're the best! I indeed learned a lot about the construction. I never drafted a dress as complicated as this one, so this is a huge achievement for me :)

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention. Love your hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! It's FABULOUS! I love the double v shape and it looks great with the black buttons and bow!! 1941 glamour all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear, I just gasped so loudly when I saw this resplendently lovely dress that my husband asked me what was wrong. Nothing is wrong, in fact it's quite the opposite, it's wonderfully okay! I can't begin to tell you how much I adore this dress. The cut, lines, fabric and colours are breathtaking. If this dress was sold by a repro brand, I would save up my pennies to buy one of my own, that's really how much I love it. You look magnificent, dear Anthea, and have knocked it out of the ballpark with this gorgeous 40s frock.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! This is a very great compliment!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I could not even try to do all of that work. I just buy the pattern, follow the pattern, and hope that it fits without a muslin. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do this for every sewing project. I also use patterns to same way you do! But I like pattern drafting so with the Lutterloh project I want to improve my pattern drafting skills.

      Delete
  6. You look so cute in this outfit! I esp liked the last post on the accessories, but that dress is a KNOCKOUT! :) Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi I want this pattern is there any way that I could get you to draft a copy for me thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi grace, if you want you can email me at anthearetrovintage (at) gmail (dot) com.

      Delete
  8. Wow, this dress looks amazing, and you look amazing in it too! My compliments, you did a great job! I was only wondering why you took a base pattern to re-draft this pattern. Don't you have the instructions and the measure tape to enlarge the original Lutterloh pattern? Or is it to adjust the pattern to your measures? If you need a measure tape, you can still buy it at Lutterloh's. Just contact me! Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have the ruler and I tried using it a few times, but without any luck. I had to alter so many things, I rather use my sloper pattern. Therefore I decided to recreate the pattern myself, to practice my pattern drafting skills.

      But I'm thinking about using the ruler again for another Lutterloh pattern. Maybe I have more luck this time!

      Delete
  9. well done! this dress looks stunning on you. ... and you mixed it with the perfect collection of accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! This is simply amazing! You did an amazing job!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! Your dress is absolutely gorgeous. You've put so much work into it, you deserve to be proud if it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like it! You did an awesome job. The accessories are great, too. I love your shoes. Are they vintage, or reproduction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bought the shoes years ago at H&M. They are comfy and I love wearing them with my vintage outfits.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! Wonderful dress! I love accessories as well - especially the pantins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks amazing! I think the black accents were a great choice. They really pop against the rest of the dress and add a bit of extra interest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! In the end I was glad with the choice of using black details. Otherwise the dress would be too cute/sweet for my liking.

      Delete
  15. Wow, I am seriously impressed!! Not only by your drafting/ sewing superpowers, but also by how elegant this dress is! You must be so thrilled that all your hard work and perseverance has payed off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! It's a real confidence booster!

      Delete
  16. Your dress is fantastic. It sounds so complicated to draft your pattern and make up your own instructions. You must be so proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel like this is my best sewing project so far :) It will be hard to beat ;)

      Delete
  17. You are so perfect, and the dress fits soooooooooooo well
    I can mend, embroider, crochet and knit, but making a dress like this is create magic, ahhhhhhhhh
    Fabulous.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely following your blog and looking forwad to your new posts.
    I am sure we are going to be great blogger friends.
    have a fun weekend, Anthea.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comments!

      Delete
  19. It came out amazing! The lines of the bodice are so well-made and perfectly fitting, they're a pure joy to see. Having the lace accentuate the bodice lines instead of the placket was very smart, I think it brings a balance to the dress (esp with the black buttons and bows to the white lace).

    That sleeve looks like a nightmare to draft though! For what it's worth, I like the effect. Not an "in your face"-statement, just a subtle "something more than the ordinary", bringin yet another well-maded detail to the dress.

    How great to have finished this big project! And I adore your styling, you look just like a late 30s moviestar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Erika!

      Drafting the sleeve was a nightmare indeed! But it was a good challenge!

      Delete
  20. Oh my...that dress is gorgeous! Those details are astonishing...I am in love with it! The colour is so lovely and how the lace contrasts the black accenting is swoon-worthy. Great job....seriously a most beautiful piece! You pull the look together well, I might add, amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning result, The best of all the projects you've done so far. You look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It indeed feels like my best project so far

      Delete
  22. Gosh. I have been looking hard for a pretty 1940's dress on the internet, and think I have just found it!! It is absolutely beautiful!
    Do you make them for a living? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!