19.3.14

Finished: The American Weekly 3892

For a long time I wanted to sew a peplum blouse. I think this style is really flattering, accentuating the waist and the gathered peplum gives you a curvier look. It's really feminime. 


The pattern, like I wrote in another blogpost, really inspired me with the fabric choice. As you can see, the illustration shows a striped fabric. And I had a striped fabric for years in my stash. I think it's a match made in heaven. Ok, maybe I'm exaggurating a little, but still.

Source
It was really hard to cut everything out of the fabric. Not only because of the stripes, but I hadn't enough fabric for this pattern. But with som trial and error and a little bit of cheating I made it work. 



I had to make the hem width of the skirt a couple of inches smaller otherwise I wouldn't make it. The skirt doesn't have a waistband, but a facing. originally the centre front and back parts of the skirt needed to be cut along the fold. I couldn't do this, and had to add a seam. 
The belt is also made by me. Luckily, I had fabric in my stash in a similar color.




I also discovered that something went wrong with the calculations I made to see if I needed to change the patterns. I measured the waist and thought I had to add a little to make it fit me. But after sewing the skirt together (luckily no zip inserted yet), the skirt was too big. So I started calculating again, and again, but I couldn't find a mistake in my calculations. Strange huh? Well, I'm happy it wasn't the other way around, my skirt being too small. 





As I mentioned earlier this set is not really like what I usually make. I stepped out of my comfort zone fabric wise. I'm more like a floral kind of gal, romantic, no 'harsh' stripes. But somehow I was attracted to it and it even inspired me for one of my upcoming sewing projects which contains also a striped fabric. Something is changing over here ;)




Do you get out of your comfortzone when it comes to choosing a pattern/fabric?

P.S. When I look back at the pictures I'm getting a bit insecure. Is this style suitable for me?' I ask myself. Maybe I have to adjust a little or maybe it's just nothing for me. I hate those doubts.

30 comments:

  1. I love this dress and this is why: It's a garment that's deliciously vintage but would be completely un-vintage-afiable (not a real word :) ) by adding smart modern black heals and a fitted black blazer. Feeling vintage? wear it that way! Want something you can wear out to a modern cocktail party and really stand out? Wear it the other way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be styled in differetn ways :) Hadn't thought about it, so thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Unnecessary to have doubts: the dress looks gorgeous on you! Great pattern, great fabric, great mannequin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! :) I agree with Elizabeth - you could definitely tone up or down the vintage feel depending on how you accessorize this. There's something really fun about those strong stripes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this dress is wonderful and pretty on you! You have so much talent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wauw, hij is geweldig! Niet zo onzeker zijn, het staat je absoluut wel! De zwarte strepen matchen goed met je haar. Maar ik kan me wel voorstellen dat het je wat onzeker maakt hoor, het is best wel een heftige print en dat moet je durven dragen. (Ik ben echt een schijterd wat dat betreft)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel :) Ik moet er denk ik een beetje aan wennen nog denk ik! Maar ben toch blij dat ik er voor gegaan ben!

      Delete
  6. This outfit is magic. Just lovely! The skirt drapes wonderfully and the whole outfit fits you so well. It is such a big undertaking to take on stripes, you should be proud of this accomplishment! I bet you were on the edge of your seat a couple of times wondering if you'd make it with the fabric. It is like a good plot to a story:) You did the sleeves so well. Were they difficult to set in? Did you use organza to stabilize? I'm thinking of ditching my 1940 dress I was working on as I had a lot of puckering. What do you do when you run into unnecessary puckering? A wonderful accomplishment and so true to the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Joanna!
      The sleeves were very easy! I think puffed sleeves are the easiest sleeves to set in because of the gathers you can always make it fit the arm hole.

      Sometimes a good press (steam) will diminish the puckering if it don't work it could be something about the tension of your sewing machine. Or maybe it's just the fabric. Some fabrics puckers easily.

      Delete
  7. Your dress is amazing, the fabric is just perfect. It looks really great on you. I imagine you are worrying because it is different to what you are used to seeing yourself in. You did say it was out of your comfort zone. But no need to worry, it really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous, gorgeous! This style suits you definitely! I couldn't wear a peplum blouse, my bottom is a little bit on the fat side, but a perfectly slim person like you is just made for peplums. Or the other way round. Anyway, using a striped fabric is always a bit of a challenge to match, but with a pattern you never used before - well, that's terrific!
    And I definitely think this suits you so much! You really should feel comfortable, as this dress is simply amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doris! I should feel more comfortable by now reading all the comments to this blogpost ;)

      Delete
  9. wow, deze jurk is mooi zeg! Je hebt de strepen mooi verwerkt! Deze stof en peplum op de jurk zou ook buiten mijn comfort zone zijn en ik betwijfel het of ik het zou naaien als ik alleen de stof en het patroon zag. Maar nu ik de jurk op jou zie wil ik ook wel zo'n een! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel :) Als ik de match met het patroon niet had gevonden was die stof waarschijnlijk nog heel lang blijven liggen in mijn lappen kast.

      Delete
  10. I am in awe! This is just stunning! Such a wonderful silhouette and the fabric choice is marvelous!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoe meer foto's ik ervan zie, hoe mooier ik het vind :) echt super geworden! Mooie kleur ook, dat blauw. Staat je heel goed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness woman! That is gorgeous! I love the style, I love the fabric, and you look stunning. Have to say, sometimes the fabric suggestions on the vintage patterns are just spot on, and stripes really make this style rock! I have to agree with you about the peplum, it gives lovely feminine shape and enhances the waist. I have wanted to make peplum dress/top so long now, but haven't really had time to do that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful. The stripes really suit the pattern, and you've done a wonderful job on matching them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning, dear Anthea, absolutely, fabulously stunning! This gorgeous dress truly looks it could have stepped right off of the cover of a 1940s magazine (Seventeen, in particular, to my mind). Amazing work!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can only agree to the others: It really suits you, you really don't need to doubt. The pattern and the fabric are so lovely and you did a perfect job to match them!
    I solved the feed-problem concerning my blog: After a long phone call with the technical support he changed a few settings. Unfortunately, the adress changed, Bloglovin doesn't understand it is the same blog. Now it is only www.parvasedapta.ch without the /wordpress-ending. If you search for and follow this adress (or select it in my profile) and un-follow the old adress everything should work as it should.
    love, ette

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first response: Wow!! This is a smashing ensemble, you wear it wonderfully! Beautiful, beautiful job! I myself am not a huge fan of stripes, but when done right, as in your instance, they are so striking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Fantastic job on the blouse and skirt! The fabric you picked is gorgeous and so well suited to the pattern. I admire your patience in getting the stripes to all point the right way! I like stripes, but I'm always far too lazy to sew with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!