30.5.15

Sewing update!!

Lately I've been sewing again. It's been a long while. After the move I tried to sew, but I couldn't bring it up anymore. I took a break, a long break. But about a month ago, I felt that crafting itch again ;) So I started working on my 40s slacks, which was on my to do list for such a long time. I already traced the pattern, but needed to grade it to my own size. 


The slacks are almost finished. I only need to add the waistband, hem the trouser legs and add a button and buttonhole.

I am sorry for the bad light; the photo is made with a crappy camera

And while working on these trousers a got an idea for a matching blouse. Immediately I knew which fabric and which pattern I should use. Isn't it great when things come together like this :)

I want to make view B/C
I also wanted to push my limits a little with making bound buttonholes instead of making buttonholes with the machine. I had some practice when I made them during a sewing course a couple of years ago. But to be sure I still knew how it works I used some leftover scraps of fabric and practiced some more. The buttonhole isn't perfect yet, but I feel confident enough for the real thing.



Have you ever made bound buttonholes? And what is your favourite method?


9 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to seeing to finish articles if you wish to show them off! I really like doing piped bound buttonholes but I think my favourite method of bound buttonholes is the lunette method (to moderns it is a window method). Now if your asking which is my favourite method of buttonholes in general it would be my hand sewn buttonholes. It's so gratifying to me somehow. Great post and look forward to more!
    -Krystle! 1930slife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about piped bound buttonholes and looked it up. It looks like a really easy method, but not suitable for all fabrics.

      Actually I want to hand sew the buttonhole of the slacks. I never did it before, but I like to give it a try :)

      Delete
    2. Yes! It's really easy. When I've got a lot of buttonholes to do on one piece sometimes I'll pipe them or for a fashion show piece where time is sometimes finite. I do like it though and my results still look very good and you're very much correct its not for a lot of different textiles.
      Nothing beats the hand sewn! I just love it. Yes, you should give it a go! Can't wait to see!

      Delete
  2. This blouse is going to make such a great outfit when paired with your trousers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dear Anthea, so nice to see you back:) I've been neglecting my blog and really haven't had much time to focus on sewing, I hope can get the sewing bug back too. It's so easy to get distracted. I look forward to seeing your progress:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss your blog! But sometimes life gets in the way! Take care!

      Delete
  4. The blouse pattern looks very promising, I am curious to see your finished garment. I love back button borders so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely, classic garments, my dear. How fabulous that you've been sewing again. I really hope I can follow your lead and find some time for crafting this summer - if I can't do it when my husband is gone for almost three months, whenever will I find the time? :D

    Big hugs & many thanks for your lovely comment on today's new vintage outfit post,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!