11.2.16

Finished: Rowan's Birgitta Cardigan

Hi all!

Last week I finally finsihed my first cardigan after a huge knitting slump which lasted more then a year. In march 2015 I started knitting this cardigan and it was such a big project, but I'm so glad it's finished :)


I already bought yarn for this project in 2011, but I wasn't a very experienced knitter at that time and I wanted to wait until I had some more experience. And I'm glad I waited, because I think this was the most difficult knitting project I ever did. And then you might wonder why I would start such a project after not knitting for over a year? Well, I don't really know, but I guess I like a good challenge and something pretty.

Source

The roses were a nightmare to knit. At times I had more then 20 little knitting balls to work with. The pattern of the upper part was also a bit difficult becuase the colors don't differ that much from each other, so you actually can't see very clearly where you are on the pattern chart which will be the case when you use more contrasting colors. 


The fit was quite difficult. The cardigan is very short and I needed to added like 3 inches / 7,5 cm to get the length I desired. The same goes with the sleeves. They would be very very short if didn't elongate them.


When I sewed the whole thing together I wasn't happy with the fit. It was very boxy and I don't like that. To improve the fit I took in the waist with 3 cm at each side and tapered it to the actual side seam somewhere below the bust area. 


The placement of the buttons gave me a real headache! They just didn't seem evenly distributed, while I did knit a buttonhole on a regular interval. In the end I had to change the positions of some buttons three times before I was satisfied.


All in all, I'm very happy with this cardigan! Although it was a long and sometimes frustrating process! 

12 comments:

  1. Wauw! Dat is alles wat ik kan zeggen. Ik kan me niet eens voorstellen hoeveel werk dit geweest moet zijn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel! Het was echt heel veel werk! Maar wel de moeite waard :)

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! This is absolutely amazing! You did a fantastic job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Millions of little ends to darn in! How did you do it!The cardigan is a knitting miracle:you clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a lot of patience and a good serie to watch. Thanks :)

      Delete
  4. It may have been a labour of love but it was totally worth it as its really beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds hard work but it is very pretty and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is lovely! I am really impressed with how patient you are. I am not a very experienced knitter myself and too complicated projects make me loose my confidence completely :-) The colours and pattern of your cardigan look oh so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is truly beautiful. Phenomenal work, sweet Anthea. It looks so lovely on you - and really speaks to these end of winter, start of spring days.

    I just have to say, too, how very much I adore your hair these days!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!