7.2.16

Inspiration: Record Patterns part 1

I love searching on Marktplaats (a Dutch kind of Ebay) for vintage sewing patterns. Especially when they are a bargain. Last week I was searching again and found two vintage pattern sewing magazines from the 30s and early 40s. Nowadays I have a small budget and I just bid 5 euros for both of them, not expecting anything out of it. But hey, if you never try you won't get anything. So you can imagine I was very surprised when the seller accepted my bid. 


Last Friday the magazines arrived and I'm so happy with them, there are many color illustrations, which is not always the case with (pattern) magazines from these eras. I thought it would be nice to share them with you. And I like to strart with the 40s edition, to be more precisely: march 1942.


I don't really like box coats, but I adore every other tailored coat and suit on these pages. 



The pink dress is my absolute favourite dress from this magazine. And lucky me, it's included on the pattern sheet :)



Talking about the pattern sheet: this is going to be a nightmare to trace!


The details of these dresses are amazing!


I love all the dresses of this page. Especially the black and white dress with bolero.


Some lovely skirts with great details! The jumper dress is something I would wear straight away. The ruffled blouses are very cute if you ask me.


A couple of wedding dresses, one of them is also on the pattern sheet :)


Those pleats are such a great feature on the pink dress! 


More beautiful dresses, it just never ends!


The dresses on this page or mourning dresses.


I love the coat on the left!


Some stylish garments to wear at home.


This is the back of the magazine withe even more dresses!

I hope you enjoyed it! Anytime soon I will share some illustrations of the 30s magazine. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I just love those. All of them! I also quite love the tracing pattern sheets, I've got a bunch of these magazine from the early to mid 1930s and after tracing just a couple of pieces really got he hang of it and I think you will too! Just go for it!! And I wanna hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon asd I'm going to use a pattern from this magazine I definitely will blog about it!

      Delete
  2. YAY! I LOVE these! I have a few similar ones from Paris! That hooded dress is adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's very cute! Love those magazines they are a joy to look through.

      Delete
  3. Such gorgeous fashion! I really enjoyed looking at these, thanks for sharing! The pattern sheet looks very scary to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a beautiful bargain! That pattern sheet looks utterly terrifying, but I am sure you will do a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pattern sheet scares me! I've never seen such careful use of paper before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite intimidating! I hope I'll manage to trace the patterns properly!

      Delete
  6. Oh die roze jurk is inderdaad super mooi <3 ! Ik hou echt van marktplaats

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breathtakingly lovely inspiration! I adore the hats and other accessories as much as the (awesome) garments themselves. Thank you for sharing these marvelous mid-century images with us, dear Anthea.

    Many hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anthea, Hi! Just found your blog. Wow those Record magazines have such beautiful designs in them! I like the pink dress too! I saw a post of yours of a 1949(?) Lutterloh pattern for some short bloomer type of knickers and a petticoat. I feel like hitting myself on the head. I have the 1949 Lutterloh book and the petticoat pattern is just what I need for the *gasp* next project I have in mind. I'm thinking of making a prairie skirt like they had in the late 1970's and early 1980's. I live in a western town in Arizona so it would be great for the several cowboy events we have around this area. First I would have to make a slip and that slip or petticoat is great! Thank you so much for your many posts - your work is awesome!!!! and you look great in the many fashions you have made from the older patterns and Lutterloh. Kathy from Arizona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for your lovely comment! Good luck with your sewing (Lutterloh) project(s). I would love to see the finished results!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!