23.2.16

New Knitting Project: 30s Fair Isle Pullover

My boyfriend loves to wear knitted sweaters during the colder months of the year and I love knitting, so it will be no surprise that I will knit a fancy sweater for my love someday. And that moment has come. A few weeks ago, after finishing my Birgitta cardigan I immediately started with a new knitting project. I made a start with the 30s Fair Isle Pullover, a pattern which you can find for free at Lucy's blog 1940's style for you.

Source

E. also has a great interest in bygone eras. And when I showed him some examples of knitwear which were popular during the first half of the 20th century he was really enthusiastic about the idea of knitting something similar for him. I showed him some options but he liked the pattern I mentioned above best. 

Original Color Scheme
The original colors of the pattern aren't very appealing, thus I started with making different color charts to decide which colors I want to use. I also made some minor changes by adding a bit more of the off white in the Fair Isle patterns.
Of course my boyfriend had a final say in this. Luckily, we both picked the same color chart as our favourite :) E. wears jackets on a daily basis and the color scheme we choose is very suitable to wear with some of his jackets.

Altered Color Scheme
After picking the color chart I made a swatch to decide if I have to alter the pattern or change needle size. I'm a very tight knitter and therefore I have to use bigger needle sizes to get the right gauge. I ended up with using 3 mm knitting needles for the ribbing and 3,5 mm knitting needles for the colourwork pattern. 


I started with the back and finished the ribbing and the first two sections of the color chart. Originally the pattern has no ribbing involved for the edges of the sleeves and bodice. It tells you to use two colors and knit, alternating both colors to create a 'ribbinglike' look, using the stockinette stitch (see color chart). I don't believe this will work, because knitwork that has been knitted in stockinette has the tendency to curl up at the ends. At least, that is my experience. 


So far I really enjoy kntting this pullover. It will be the second thing I will knit for E. The first one was a christmas present which didn't make it to the blog yet. But I will write about it soon :) 

4 comments:

  1. Love the colours you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours, your boyfriend is one lucky guy! I knit my boyfriend a hat once, but he never wore it so I never made him anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky boyfriend! This will look super.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful knit and such a thoughtful gift! I really like the eye-catchingly lovely colours that you opted to go with for it.

    Big hugs & happy start of March wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!