22.3.16

Finished: Simplicity 2072

So, I needed a break from my coat and decided to make something quick and easy instead. I wanted to make a dress, because my last me-made dress dated from July 2014!!! At that time I wasn't feeling very good, had a rough time and I didn't had the energy to make anything. I'm so glad that lies behind me, because I'm feeling much better now!


Simplicity 2072 (40s) made by Anthea
When I went through my stash of patterns I came across such beauties, but I really needed to limit myself. It had to be quick and easy. Thus, no fancy dress with a lot of details this time. When you look at the pattern envelope of Simplicity 2072 (late 1940s) it might not the most interesting dress. But for now it was just what I needed. Something not too complicated.


Simplicity 2072 (40s) made by Anthea


This pattern has a very small size and I had to add about 3 inch / 7,5 cm to the waist and hips to make it fit me. The bust width was good. In hindsight I could have added some length (1/2 inch / 1,25 cm) to the bodice as well.


Simplicity 2072 (40s) made by Anthea

I wanted to work exclusively from my stash and I succeeded at that very well. I had some rayon-like navy colored fabric with a great drape which is perfect for this dress. Alas, I didn't have suitable zippers, instead I used snaps which I do have plenty in my stash. Also other notions like yarn, seam binding, Petersham ribbon, hooks and eyes, ecc. were all present. I really like it when I don't have to buy anything for a project because I have everything at hand.  


Simplicity 2072 (40s) made by Anthea


The plan was to use my serger to finish the raw edges. My serger is a very old lady. When I threaded her with the yarn the lever which lifts the serger foot broke off :O. I use my serger rarely, because I don't think it's the neatest finish for a garment. I prefer lining or seam binding so much more, but it's always good to have a serger when you feel like speeding up the progress a little. 


Simplicity 2072 (40s) made by Anthea


The only seam binding I have is off-white colored, and I didn't want to change the yarn of my machine every time and decided to use a decorative stitch to attach the seambinding to the raw edges rather then using the regular straight stitch. This way I could sew everything with the same yarn.


Details of dress: Simplicity 2072 (40s) made by Anthea
clockwise: closed back (inside out); one of the belt loops; seambinding with bowstitching; open back (inside out)


Because the fabric is quite heavy I was affraid the waist seam would stretch. Therefore I made a waist stay. This was a first for me. Because the dress is so simple it's a nice opportunity to introduce yourself to something new. 

I made some belt loops as well. Because I think a belt will be a really great addition this dress. 


Inside out; Simplicity 2072 (40s) made by Anthea
The dress inside out

The hand stitching was very quite time consuming. The snaps (12 pairs!), belt loops, hook and eye at waist level and waist stay, the hem and the bias-cut facings at the armholes and neckline are all stitched by hand. But I really enjoy some hand stitching. For me it's really relaxing and a mindful activity. 


Simplicity 2072 (40s) made by Anthea


I like the finished dress and I think I will wear it a lot because it fits perfectly in my wardrobe. I can style it in so many ways so don't think I will get bored of it anytime soon.


Simplicity 2072 (40s) made by Anthea


P.s. To take any pictures I have to make some room in my living room. This is how it normally looks like (what do you think of my new old rug?):


retro living room with modern, vintage and antique furniture


Now it's time to get back to my coat!

12 comments:

  1. A navy blue dress is just perfect. I absolutely love you internal details on this. This is why I love sewing; make things you love, and put as many hidden special details in as you want

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that too! From the outside the dress looks rather simple, but constructionwise it's quite interesting.

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress, I really like the neckline! I, too, prefer to use as much from my stash as possible for a project. Brilliant idea to use a decorative stitch for the seam binding, looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iris! I don't want to add to my fabric stash anymore because I don't have enough space. And I have a small income nowadays, so I always look in my stash first.

      Delete
  3. That is such a lovely dress, and you look great in it! I'm sure you will get loads of wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So far, I've been wearing this dress a lot! I have so many items in my wardrobe that go so well with this dress :)

      Delete
  4. Truly lovely frock. This strikes me as being one of those wear it anywhere, see you through a million situations dresses that a person's wardrobe is enhanced immensely by possessing. Fantastic job on it, sweet dear - it looks wonderful on you.

    Many hugs & happy Easter weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. That a lovely dress (and living room :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your dress is very cute, and this seems like the perfect project to ease yourself back into the dress making game. It's the kind of classic, easy style that goes anywhere and could be worn with practically anything, so it seems like a very sensible choice as well. I love it with the cute cardigan thrown over it as well.
    Cheers,
    Jessica, Zella Maybe

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely dress. Great sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, it may be simple but it sure is pretty, I also love the effort you have gone to with the finishing of the seams, its as pretty inside as it is out! The new rug is gorgeous too, I dream of owning something similar myself one day, they are such a classic style! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!