16.4.16

Finished: Simplicity 2865 / Late 1930s Coat

Hello!

It took me over 5 months, but today I can tell you that I FINALLY finished my 30s coat! And I don't even count in planning this sewing project, because I already did that back in 2013, as you can read here and here

1930s Tailored Coat Made By Anthea

It's been on and off in my mind for years! And now it's done. It feels so strange. Of course, I feel proud and I think I really achieved something. On the other hand I also feel a bit sad that this project is done. 

1930s Tailored Coat Made By Anthea
Simplicity 2865
This was my first big tailoring project and I never learned so much from one single project like padstitching, making bound buttonholes and welt pockets.

1930s Tailored Coat Made By Anthea

There was so much handstitching involved. For example: all the padstitching is done by hand. I only sewed the vertical seams of my lining with my sewing machine. All the other seams of the lining are done by hand, sleeves included. The lining is fully slipstitched into the coat. I did some featherstitching in the lining to create some pleats.

1930s Tailored Coat Made By Anthea

It wasn't always fun sewing this coat. I had problems with the fabric which shrunk so much when I pretreated it. I had to improvise a lot to make it work. The pattern was two sizes too big, so I needed to grade down big way and that was especially difficult with the sleeves. Luckily, after many muslins and trial and errors it came out fitting me better.

1930s Tailored Coat And Scarf Made By Anthea

The  crocheted scarf I'm wearing in the picture above is also made by me some years ago. Actually it's a huge triangle, but I like to wrap it around my neck. 

1930s Tailored Coat And Scarf Made By Anthea

I've been dreaming of my own tailored coat for so many years. It was in 2008 when I was in Dublin and came across a shop with beautiful tailored coats. Of course, I couldn't afford one, so it was then when I started dreaming about making my own tailored coat in a pretty color. 

1930s Tailored Coat Made By Anthea

Well, I don't think I can leave it just with this coat. I love to make more coats in the future. But now, I will be glad to make some garments which take less time to finish. And finally time, to focus on the Vintage Pledge!

1930s Tailored Coat Made By Anthea

I was a bit scared the coat would be too warm to wear now. But weather has been bad lately. So lucky for me I guess. Although I do like some sunshine and warmer temperatures as well. 

1930s Tailored Coat Made By Anthea

You can find a bunch of pictures which I made during the progress on my Instagram. If you like to see them, you can find me here: click. And I aslo wrote some blogs about the progress which you can find here and here.

1930s Tailored Coat Made By Anthea

Enjoy your weekend! I will definitely do!

21 comments:

  1. This is stunningly gorgeous, and so classic and flattering! Fits you like a glove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo lovely!! The 30s and 40s did have such pretty coats and suits. You did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this coat it is utterly wonderful! You can see the hours of hard work that you put in by every detail being beautifully finished and the way it fits you perfectly! I am sure you will get lots of wear out of it for years to come! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your coat is just amazing! It suits you and fits so perfectly. You must be so proud, I would be wearing it all of the time if I were you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous coat! The fit and color are perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a beautiful coat, you must be so delighted with the finished project, all your hours of hard work have paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already admired the coat on Facebook but I didn't realize it was you. It is absolutely stunning, I love the cut and the colour is simply amazing. Just beautiful!
    Greetings, ette

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ben echt zo onder de indruk! Hier kan je echt super trots op zijn! Je inspireert me wel heel erg om ook eindelijk eens een jas te maken

    ReplyDelete
  9. This coat is absolute perfection! You look wonderful, and you've done a fantastic job on the tailoring. This gives me hope my first project may turn out as good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, wow! It is such a beautiful coat and I've loved following its progress on Instagram. The colour is just gorgeous and perfect for those in-between seasons when you still need a coat but don't want dark wintery colours. I bet you're so chuffed that's it all done and the finish is really quite special. A big well done from me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowsers!!! This is absolutely brilliant! You've done a fantastic job, the buttonholes and pockets are perfect. And I love the shape of the collar, and also the colour of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That color is amazing! I love, love your beautiful new coat. I'm in awe of such a beautiful job jobbed! Swell! Just swell!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I already admired your coat on Facebook - it's perfection! Really great work and additionally it suits you perfectly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow!! You look great in it! What an awesome coat it is☺ You should be very proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This coat is gorgeous and your skills are impressive! I especially like the collar and sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This certainly was a huge project, and it's obvious that you put a lot of work and and time into it - but it was so totally worth it! This is an outstandingly beautiful coat, and the colour is yummy. I'm sure this garment will accompany you for many years. Now that you certainly learnt a lot about tailoring, your next coat or tailored suit will be much easier to do. So if you feel sorry this project is finished, just pick another one. :-)
    Really, well done! And I'm a bit jealous, as it's one of my dreams to own a purple coat...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This is nothing short of impressive, and you have every right to be proud! You did an amazing job! I also adore the color you chose - it's not one you see often, and that is the real fun part of making your own clothes, isn't it?

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for your comments!!! They really make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Anthea, this is honestly nothing short of a masterful work of art. I can't remember the last time I saw a lovelier or more cheerful winter coat. You did absolutely amazing and should be so proud of your gorgeous purple topper. I'm giving you a standing ovation for it!

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, it's gorgeous! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This coat is one of the most fabulous coat I've ever seen. It really makes me want to make one similar. Your tailoring is perfect

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!