16.5.16

Finished: Hollywood 1875 / Peasant blouse

Hello! How are you doing?



I have a kind of a routine when it comes about blogging about my finished sewing projects. First I iron the garment(s), then preparing to make pictures and then actually take pictures. After taking pictures I edit them (nothing too special, just resizing/cropping and sometims make them a bit brighter) and finally I'll write a blogpost. So this morning I started with my routine but when I was ready to take pictures I discovered I had to recharge the battery. To make the best of the time, I decided to write the blogpost first and take pictures after. Hoping the battery will be recharged by then. It felt a bit strange, writing without pictures, but not something undoable. 

I made view 3

Anyways, today I want to show you my latest make. It's a late 40's peasant blouse. I wanted to make a peasant blouse for years now, but somehow I never got to it. Last summer I planned on sewing one, but eventually didn't get to it, because it was already september when I finally had time for this project. So this year I wanted it to be my first spring/summer make, because I didn't want to postpone it another time.


I had this pattern in my stash for some years and it's Hollywood 1875 dating from the late 40s. The blouse is made in a white cotton and I added a nice lace trim to the sleeves. 

1. Inside of sleeve; 2. outside of sleeve; 3. completed top

Although this wasn't a very complicated project it sill had some challenges. First, the fabric isn't that great. It's a very stiff cotton (even washing it several times it still remained very stiff). It leaves small holes when you put a needle or pin through it. Luckily the holes disappears after washing the fabric. And the fabric is a bit sheer. So you see every seam, facing or dart. Which, of course, I don't like and wanted to solve. Lining the blouse was not an option, because it would be too warm in summer. I opted for French seams and organza facings which you (almost) won't see from the outside.


The other challenge was the closure. The sewing descriptions didn't provide any information about the closure at all. They mentioned to close the side seams with no further instructions about inserting a zipper or adding snaps or whatsoever. Also other places where you would expect a zipper/snaps weren't mentioned. With no extra opening the blouse wouldn't fit me at all. In first instance I opted for a zipper in the sideseam, but eventually decided against it because you would see too much of the zipper and seams on the outside. Instead, I made button loops on the one side (front) of the side seam and sewed buttons on the other side (back).

1.French seams and organza facing; 2. button loops in the front side seam; 3. bias cut facings for the lower part of the arm scye; 4. buttons, buttons, buttons
Next time I definitely go for another fabric. I prefer a more soft cotton fabric instead of this stiff fabric. Sometimes choices are so limited over here, with only one fabric store. 

Silly pic of me. What was I thinking when  I was doing this pose :P
But in the end, I'm very happy with this blouse. Because I can wear it with so many skirts I already have. And that made me realise I need more of them. But since I don't like sewing the same pattern again I want to do something different. Something with embroidery or smocking. And I already have the perfect patterns in my stash: 


Simplicity 1137  (left) and Simplicity 1660 (right)

Now I only need to find more time to make all those pretty peasant blouses!

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful blouse! Love the future project ideas - can't beat a bit of smocking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have done some smocking only once, so this would be a nice challenge :)

      Delete
  2. Ik ben altijd zo onder de indruk van je oog voor detail en geduld om al die dingen te doen... die button loops daar was ik echt niet aan begonnen ;) Maar je blouse is wel heel mooi geworden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel :) Soms is het ook wel wat vermoeiend hoor. Want het duurt vaak wel lang voor iets af is

      Delete
  3. Your blouse is so sweet and perfect for summer! Love the little fluttery sleeves :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the construction details are beautiful! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Peasant blouses are so classic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my dear it's so lovely on you! Really well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely top and I love all the lace and ruffles. My initial thought when I saw it was that the fabric looked too stiff. It would probably work well in a soft brushed cotton, a heavy voile or even cheesecloth. I don't have any fabric shops near me so I buy mine all online and it really opens up the choices. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I do buy some fabric online, but it's hard to judge how the drape of a fabric will be.

      Delete
  8. I love your women's contrast. You are so bright and gentle at the same time. The blouse suits perfect for your character.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your posts and the beautiful garments you make. Have you tried "My fabrics " on-line? Although based in Germany , they are very good with samples . I am in the Uk with good fabric shops but still find the choice better from " my fabrics" and the prices good .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know that shop, but I will certainly take a look!

      Delete
  10. Lovely blouse, such fun sleeves! I like the look of your next ones too, the smacking and embroidery are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh its fabulous, its going to be perfect for summer! I am still in awe of those beautiful button loops, I don't think I would have had the patience to do them myself but they look so wonderful and make the blouse much more authentic! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phenomenal outfit! I love it all from shirt to skirt to bangles - and your beautiful hairstyle, too. This is such a fabulous outfit and one of my favourites that you've ever shared with us, dear Anthea.

    Oodles of hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!