18.7.16

Vintage Pledge: Lutterloh late 40s panties

Hi!!

Almost two weeks ago I finished my first Vintage Pledge project; late 40s Lutterloh panties :)
It's the first time I made (vintage) lingerie and I really liked it. Although the slippery and fraying fabric could be frustrating at times.


I have a love-hate relationship with Lutterloh. I love their patterns, but every time I use them I have to make so many alterations that it's easier to draft te pattern myself. In this case I din't completely draft the pattern myself, but used the Lutterloh pattern and started altering it until it fits. I don't mind tweaking a pattern a bit to get a better fit, but I had to made huge changes and it doesnt look like the original pattern at all anymore.


In the picture above you see how the panties would look like according to the Lutterloh pattern. The crotch is way too wide, I had to cut away so much fabric there to make it fit.


There was a lot of hand sewing involved, but I don't mind that, because sewing thing by hand give you a lot more control over the fabric and it results in a neater finish with less visible stitching, which I prefer.


The side seam can be closed with little snaps which are sewn on a continuous sides seam placket closure. This was a first for me, although it isn't perfect I'm happy with how it came out. The hems and waist are finished with bias cut strips.


So, now I finally made my first steps into lingerie making there will be more. I already drafted a bra pattern and a pattern for French knickers and another kind of panties (don't know if they have a particular name) and all are vintage (30s/40s inspired). They will be all made from the same fabric and lace trim because this way I can mix and match :)


Have you ever made your own lingerie?

15 comments:

  1. Your panties have turned out lovely! I've recently just finished myself a slip, but I'm halfway through a bra, pantie and suspender set. I love how little fabric is needed for sewing lingerie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I was amazed with the little amount of fabric that I used for this pantie!

      Delete
  2. These are so very lovely. The perfect wear-them-under-anything pair of knickers.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golly these are beautiful (not sure I have ever said that about a pair of panties before!) I really love the side opening detail, so delicate and such a vintage touch! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm happy with the results! The side placket was a bit tricky to make, but indeed a very lovely vintage detail!

      Delete
  4. Super adorable!! I guess they erred on the safe side with the crotch bit, to avoid any scandalous incidents. Besides, we are all different. I think they resemble the original quite a bit, and they are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Yeah, better safe then sorry I guess :P

      Delete
  5. I think I'm the same with Mrs Depew patterns which follow the same logic as Lutterloh. I love the different styles they offer but I always end up making loads of adjustments to make it work for me. I often think it would be easier to just draft it from scratch myself.
    Anyway, in the end your knickers turned out lovely. The original pattern looks more like one for French knickers rather than what's shown in the illustration. Your finishes look really good and I'm glad you persisted with it.
    Now I really need to get on with the lingerie I want to make. I've got a list as long as my arm but I keep getting distracted with other things like pretty dresses! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience with Lutterloh is that there can be huge differences between the pattern and the illustration.

      I know what you mean, I had lingerie on my wishlist for such a long time but never came to it because I always turned to sewing garments which people actually can see.

      Delete
  6. How adorable! I also plan to get into lingerie making, such a gorgeous wave of selfmade bras and panties is flowing my blog reader currently that I can't resist to dabble with this myself :-) Love the little snaps, by the way, such a great detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing your own lingerie is so much fun!!! Good luck!

      Delete
  7. BRAVO!!! I am very, very impressed! Sewing always impresses me, but to make such fine underthings is especially impressive! Plus this are super cute!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! And all the neat handsewing, good job! I make my own panties as well, I took a pattern off my favorite pair and make them myself ever since. They are not truly vintage, I make them from rayon jersey, but they are waaaay bigger than the really modern ones :-D
    I made a few bras some years ago and I would love to take up bra sewing again, but at the moment I just don't find the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!