12.8.16

Finished: Doreen Jumper

Hello!

If you're following me on Instagram, you already now that I recently finished two of my knitting projects. And today I want to show one of them to you :)


It's the Doreen Jumper and it's a late 40s/early 50s pattern which is published in a knitting magazine called 'Magriet Breit' (Margriet Knits). 'Magriet' is a Dutch magazine for women and is on the market since 1938. 'Magriet Breit' is a supplement which is  mainly dedicated to knitting as the title suggests. But you can also find some crochet and embroidery patterns in it. 


A few years ago I was lucky to find a pile f these knitting magazines at a fleamarket for a very special price. The ones I have are mainly late 40s or early 50s. I wish I someday find some older magazines as well. But they are pretty scarce in our country. 


I think this is the fastest knitted sweater I ever made. I'm kind of a slow worker, because I often doubt if I'm on the right track which means that I can be quite obsessive about how things are coming along. So I'm continually checking and rechecking my work, frogging parts, adding this, changing that, ecc. You can imagine that this is very time consuming. And I never follow a pattern to the letter, I always think things have to be different or better. So that doesn't help either.


But this project went very smooth. I had to make just a few changes. I graded the pattern down to my size and I added some length to the sleeves and bodice. The neck was also a bit on the small side and I knew my head wouldn't fit through the hole, so I made the neckline a bit wider. 


The pattern consists of mirrorred cables which give a braided look. Between the cables there is a small braid. The neckband is about 5 cm wide and folded to the inside and sewn to the jumper to create a tunnel. With the help of a safety pin I put the cord through this tunnel. The cord is a so called i-cord which can be knitted or crocheted. I choose to crochet the cord, because I didn't had the right double pointed knitting needles.  


The color is a beautiful greyish green and is perfect for autumn if you ask me. At the moment we're in the middle of august and I'm wearing this jumper. Isn't that insane?!? The weather over here is just horrible! It's cold and there's a lot of rain. But for me a great opportunity to take pics of this jumper, because I wouldn't do this when it would be a hot summer day!


I think I spent about 8 weeks knitting this jumper. With an avarage of 10 hours a week. So this means I spent 80 hours to make this beauty. Compared to my colorwork projects, this is very very fast!

Me being silly again
As you can see, I'm qutie happy with the results :)

Hopefully, I'll be able to make some pictures of my other finished knitwork so I can put it on my blog!

11 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful knitter and one of the few people modelling vintage knits that look as they did on the original pattern. I have many modern books with vintage garments re-written and even the professional models look wrong. You look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous knit! I just adore the colour you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your jumper is amazing, you did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!! And I love the silly pics, you look so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I'm feeling quite good lately :)

      Delete
  5. So lovely! It's hard to believe that we're almost into sweater season again. After having exceedingly little true summer weather here this year, I'm eager to embrace fall with both arms. :)

    Oodles of hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fantastic knit. It really suits you. I love all those cables.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! So cute!
    Jennie from theuglydame.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!