6.8.16

WIP: 50s Halter Dress

Hello there!

Yesterday I got hit with the stomach flu :( and although I feel a bit better today I decided to keep things calm and stay in bed watching some tv series, doing some knitting and write a blogpost :)


A while ago I was a bit indecisive about which summer dress I would like to sew and wrote blogpost about this, which you can read here.


Recently I started with the dress I choose as my first option. It's the 50s halter dress with crossed straps. The bodice is drafted by me. After some trial and error, I got a really nice fit and I like how the fabric gathers around the neck. If you're interested I can write a tutorial about how I drafted the bodice. 


The skirt pattern comes from one of my early 50s sewing magazines. It´s a 3/4 circle skirt with lots of gathers. 



When I was satisfied with the muslin I cut out the fabric and started sewing the skirt. Since the skirt uses a lot of fabric it has to hang for a few days to evening out the hem. You can also add little weights to the hem if you like, but I have never done that myself. So far I always get good results without putting extra weight to the hem.

I did some great pattern matching at Centre Front

Then I started with the bodice. I decided it needs boning for some extra support (especially in the back). A couple of years ago I bought some spiral boning and decided this is the right time to finally use them. 


But before adding boning to the vertical seams I wanted to fit it once again. Just to be sure because I don't feel like removing the boning channels if the bodice won't fit me properly. I know I already made a muslin, but sometimes the 'real' fabric can behave a bit differently then the muslin fabric. The skirt is basted to the bodice and I basted a zipper in the centre back of the dress and it was ready for a fit. 


At this point I fitted the bodice and added the boning and it's ready for another fit. Hmm, am I a bit obsessive? I don't know. I like to check the fit during the proces, because I really hate it when I put a lot of time and effort into  making a garment and it doesn't fit me properly. 


When I'm recovered again I really hope to spend some time behind the sewing machine!

Enjoy your weekend!!

20 comments:

  1. I love the pattern matching at the center front, details such as this are the secret of a beautiful garment.
    I don't think that fitting at every step is too much, on the contrary-good fit is one of the best things about self-made garments, isn't it :-)
    I would be very glad to see a drafting tutorial for this bodice, it's so well balanced and even though it's summery, it doesn't reveal that much skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ok, I will try and write a anytime soon :)

      Delete
  2. Mooi, zeg! De stof die je hiervoor gekozen hebt, vind ik ook prachtig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja mooi he! Heb ik een tijd geleden gekocht op Textielstad.nl

      Delete
  3. Lovely dress.

    Hope you are feeling better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Luckily I'm feeling better again :)

      Delete
  4. Oh Anthea, what awonderful fabric and your dress looks so beautiful.
    best wishes
    Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredibly pretty dress. I don't say that lightly - it's spectacular and shines with the upbeat spirit of the 50s so awesomely. What a stellar make, dear Anthea.

    Big hugs & happy mid-summer wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on all the fitting. It's really worth it when you put so much time into making a garment. Your dress looks brilliant! I love the cross-over bodice and the fabric is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Fitting during the proces really pays of in the end

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks! I like your WIP Dress too!

      Delete
  8. Such a stunning dress and what beautiful fabric, it makes me happy just looking at it! I am in utter admiration of your sewing and drafting skills this really is magnificent! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolutely stunning dress! I love it! Don't worry, I obsess about fit too and will make several mock ups before cutting it out. I constantly try whatever I'm making on myself throughout the process and get very particular about certain areas. I can't wait to see you in this dress! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Luckily I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel so obsessive because other people whip up a dress like its nothing.

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful fabric and a still more beautiful dress. Hope summer will last a little longer, it needs to be worn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dress and I would absolutely love it if you wrote a tutorial for it. I am just beginning to learn how to draft my own patterns and this would be so helpful. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it!