Finished: McCall 4942

Wow, time's flying when you're having fun! I meant to blog sooner, but didnt 'found the time or focus. So much has happened lately, mostly good things that is! So I shouldn't complain at all :)

Anyways, today I'm wearing the dress I recently finished and instead of doing some cleaning and tidying up in my house I decided that it is much more fun to make some pictures and write a blogpost.

Lately I totally ditched the pin curls, although I love them, my hair is just terrible to curl and I kind of love my straigth hair again so for now no more curls (which most of the times only last a few hours). I'm also letting the hair dye grow out. I've been dyeing my hair since I was 14, always hated my natural hair color, but now I finally start to appreciate it. 

The pattern I used is McCall 4942 and I have it in my stash for al ong time, I had it on my to-do list a couple of years ago, but never got to it.

The wine red fabric was a gift and has such a beautiful color. Alas, it was quite hard to work with because it's quite slippery. The fabric is also a bit stretchy and after sewing all the seams of the bodice and skirt I discovered it was too big while the patterns had the correct size. So I had to unpick the seams and resize the pattern pieces. You must know, I have very little experience sewing stretchy fabrics, I'm always using woven fabrics. This is a whole new are for me.

Then I had some problems with the sleeve caps as well. The pattern suggested to stitch 3 darts in each sleeve cap, but they turned out quite wobbly(?) and I couldn't fix it. Instead I gathered the sleeve caps and I really liked the results. 

I made a sleeve stiffener of organza (forgot to cut the thread befor taking the photo)

To give the sleeve some more support I made a sleeve stiffener. An idea I borrowed from another 40s sewing pattern which I have in my stash and will probably be my next sewing project.

Fabric covered buttons and button loops at the neck opening
I really love the details of this dress like the gathered skirt (which has 6 rows of gathers permanently stitched at the center front), the gathers at the front yoke, fabric covered buttons, lapped side seam closure and of course the fabric covered belt!

And how can I forget about the pockets??? It has pockets is well :)Yay for pockets! 

My cat wanted some attention 
I've been wearing this dress quit a lot so it is a big succes! Solid color dresses aren't that boring at all (especially if you make funny dances in it ;) Really need more of them!

Ok, this is becoming a small tradition, posting the funny pics at each end of my blogpost
Techniques I used (with references):

French seams:
C. Shaeffer, 2011. Couture Sewing Techniques. Pp. 51-52.

Fabric covered belt:
I followed the instructions which came with the kit and used an online tutorial written by Linda Bradfield.

Button loops:
I don't remember anymore where I learned this technique but I found a tutorial written by Ysolda.

Fabric covered buttons:
The buttons are from Prym and I use an universal tool to create the fabric covered buttons. The tool and package of buttons contains a clear instruction.

Lapped side seam closure with snaps:
J. Cole & S. Czachor, 2010. Professional Sewing Techniques for Designers. Pp. 497.

This closure is very common in vintage dresses. The pattern instructions of a vintage pattern show you how to make one. 

Hand sewn hem with a blind catchstitch:
C. Shaeffer, 2011. Couture Sewing Techniques. Pp. 35.

Pinked edges:
I used my rottary cutter with a pinking blade to finish the hem and some of the other edges.

Sleeve stiffener:

This technique I borrowed form another 40s sewing pattern to support the sleeve.