Lately I totally ditched the pin curls, although I love them, my hair is just terrible to curl and I kind of love my straigth hair again so for now no more curls (which most of the times only last a few hours). I'm also letting the hair dye grow out. I've been dyeing my hair since I was 14, always hated my natural hair color, but now I finally start to appreciate it.
The pattern I used is McCall 4942 and I have it in my stash for al ong time, I had it on my to-do list a couple of years ago, but never got to it.
The wine red fabric was a gift and has such a beautiful color. Alas, it was quite hard to work with because it's quite slippery. The fabric is also a bit stretchy and after sewing all the seams of the bodice and skirt I discovered it was too big while the patterns had the correct size. So I had to unpick the seams and resize the pattern pieces. You must know, I have very little experience sewing stretchy fabrics, I'm always using woven fabrics. This is a whole new are for me.
Then I had some problems with the sleeve caps as well. The pattern suggested to stitch 3 darts in each sleeve cap, but they turned out quite wobbly(?) and I couldn't fix it. Instead I gathered the sleeve caps and I really liked the results.
|I made a sleeve stiffener of organza (forgot to cut the thread befor taking the photo)|
To give the sleeve some more support I made a sleeve stiffener. An idea I borrowed from another 40s sewing pattern which I have in my stash and will probably be my next sewing project.
|Fabric covered buttons and button loops at the neck opening|
And how can I forget about the pockets??? It has pockets is well :)Yay for pockets!
|My cat wanted some attention|
|Ok, this is becoming a small tradition, posting the funny pics at each end of my blogpost|
Techniques I used (with references):
C. Shaeffer, 2011. Couture Sewing Techniques. Pp. 51-52.
Fabric covered belt:
I followed the instructions which came with the kit and used an online tutorial written by Linda Bradfield.
I don't remember anymore where I learned this technique but I found a tutorial written by Ysolda.
Fabric covered buttons:
The buttons are from Prym and I use an universal tool to create the fabric covered buttons. The tool and package of buttons contains a clear instruction.
Lapped side seam closure with snaps:
J. Cole & S. Czachor, 2010. Professional Sewing Techniques for Designers. Pp. 497.
This closure is very common in vintage dresses. The pattern instructions of a vintage pattern show you how to make one.
Hand sewn hem with a blind catchstitch:
C. Shaeffer, 2011. Couture Sewing Techniques. Pp. 35.
I used my rottary cutter with a pinking blade to finish the hem and some of the other edges.
This technique I borrowed form another 40s sewing pattern to support the sleeve.